Skip to Content

Washington University Gallery of Art Records

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: WUA-01-wua00019
This collection contains Art Collections Committee minutes, exhibition information, accession information and inventories for the art collection, and publications.

Dates

  • 1947-2004

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Open

Conditions Governing Use

Users of the collection must read and agree to abide by the rules and procedures set forth in the Materials Use Policies.

Providing access to materials does not constitute permission to publish or otherwise authorize use. All publication not covered by fair use or other exceptions is restricted to those who have permission of the copyright holder, which may or may not be Washington University.

If you wish to publish or license Special Collections materials, please contact Special Collections to inquire about copyright status at (314) 935-5495 or spec@wumail.wustl.edu. (Publish means quotation in whole or in part in seminar or term papers, theses or dissertations, journal articles, monographs, books, digital forms, photographs, images, dramatic presentations, transcriptions, or any other form prepared for a limited or general public.)

Extent

2.00 Linear Feet

2 boxes

Biographical or Historical Information

The Washington University Gallery of Art was originally known as the St. Louis School and Museum of Fine Arts, which was founded in 1881 and was the first art museum west of the Mississippi River.  It was located at 19th and Locust Streets as part of the University’s original downtown campus.  The museum was rededicated in 1906 as the St. Louis Museum of Fine Arts and moved to Forest Park, into the Palace of Arts building, constructed for the 1904 World’s Fair.  Then in 1909 the St. Louis Museum of Fine Arts dissolved as a department of Washington University and became the City Art Museum (now the Saint Louis Art Museum).  The University’s art collection remained on loan to the city until 1960 when the newly constructed Gallery of Art located in Steinberg Hall allowed its return to campus.

The Gallery of Art was renamed the Mildred Lane Kemper Art Museum in 2004 as a result of a donation by the Kemper family of St. Louis and Kansas City in honor of the late Mildred Lane Kemper.  In 2006, the museum moved to its own facility within the Sam Fox School of Design and Visual Arts complex.

Arrangement

Arranged alphabetically.

Method of Acquisition

This material was donated to the University Archives by the Gallery of Art.  Additional accruals were received in 2003 and August 2004. WUA2018-082

Accruals and Additions

Accruals are interfiled with the collection.

Related Materials

The School of Art Records are also held by University Archives and are described in a separate finding aid.

Processing Information

Processed by Jay Kempen in December 2004. Updated by Sarah Pabarcus in August 2006 and by Sonya Rooney in December 2011. Updated by Sarah Schnuriger in July 2019.
Title
Washington University Gallery of Art Records
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
eng

Revision Statements

  • 2020 November 18: Resource record updated in ArchiveSpace by Sarah Schnuriger.

Collecting Area Details

Part of the University Archives Collecting Area

Contact:
Sonya Rooney
Olin Library, 1 Brookings Drive
MSC 1061-141-B
St. Louis MO 63130 US
(314) 935-5495