Skip to Content

Washington University Building Information Files

Identifier: WUA-01-wua00001

The collection includes material relating to the buildings of Washington University, including the laying of cornerstones, biographical information regarding individuals and organizations that buildings are named for, and other general reference materials.


  • Creation: 1892-2021


Conditions Governing Access


Conditions Governing Use

Users of the collection must read and agree to abide by the rules and procedures set forth in the Materials Use Policies.

Providing access to materials does not constitute permission to publish or otherwise authorize use. All publication not covered by fair use or other exceptions is restricted to those who have permission of the copyright holder, which may or may not be Washington University.

If you wish to publish or license Special Collections materials, please contact Special Collections to inquire about copyright status at (314) 935-5495 or (Publish means quotation in whole or in part in seminar or term papers, theses or dissertations, journal articles, monographs, books, digital forms, photographs, images, dramatic presentations, transcriptions, or any other form prepared for a limited or general public.)


4.50 linear feet

Historical Information

When Washington University was first founded, its buildings and classrooms were located at the intersection of Washington Avenue and Seventeenth Street. In 1892, it was decided that the campus would be moved to a site north of Forest Park.  Construction on this new campus started with seven buildings: Brookings Hall, Busch Hall, Cupples Hall No. 1, Cupples Hall No. 2, Liggett Hall, Ridgeley Hall, and a building for the Department of Physics. Since then, construction has continued on the Danforth Campus [formerly called Hilltop Campus] with the additions of numerous other buildings.

Method of Acquisition

This material was donated to the University Archives.

Accruals and Additions

Accruals are interfiled with the collection.

Processing Information

Processed by Leela Pandey in June 2005. Updated by Sarah Pabarcus in February 2006; by Leela Pandey in December 2006; by Miranda Rectenwald in December 2008 and June 2009; by Hadley Davis in July 2011. Updated in Spring 2016 by Miranda Rectenwald. Updated by Sarah Schnuriger in June 2017, February 2018, and August 2022.

Washington University Building Information Files
Description rules
Language of description

Revision Statements

  • 2020 October 29: Resource record updated in ArchiveSpace by Sarah Schnuriger.
  • 2022 September 20 - November 3: Additional data cleanup by Kate Goldkamp.

Collecting Area Details

Part of the University Archives Collecting Area

Sonya Rooney
Olin Library, 1 Brookings Drive
MSC 1061-141-B
St. Louis MO 63130 US
(314) 935-5495