Danforth Campus Dedication Collection
This collection includes material that documents the Danforth Campus Dedication in 2006, including publications that advertised the events and that were distributed at the dedication and also material regarding the Lecture Series that was part of the dedication.
- Creation: 2005-2007
- Washington University (Saint Louis, Mo.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Users of the collection must read and agree to abide by the rules and procedures set forth in the Materials Use Policies.
Providing access to materials does not constitute permission to publish or otherwise authorize use. All publication not covered by fair use or other exceptions is restricted to those who have permission of the copyright holder, which may or may not be Washington University.
If you wish to publish or license Special Collections materials, please contact Special Collections to inquire about copyright status at (314) 935-5495 or firstname.lastname@example.org. (Publish means quotation in whole or in part in seminar or term papers, theses or dissertations, journal articles, monographs, books, digital forms, photographs, images, dramatic presentations, transcriptions, or any other form prepared for a limited or general public.)
2 linear feet
Biographical or Historical Information
Originally, Washington University was located in downtown St. Louis. Robert S. Brookings, Washington University board president, found a hilly site for the new campus while riding on horseback west of the city, near the “Wilderness” end of Forest Park. The University purchased the land in 1893. The new site was used by the Louisiana Purchase Exposition for the 1904 World’s Fair.
In January 1905, Washington University students began their first classes at the new campus, which was known simply as “west of Forest Park.” By the 1920s, the campus was described as “at Skinker Road and Lindell Boulevard.” Generally known as “main campus,” in the 1950s Washington University publications began to refer to the “Hilltop Campus” with a nod to Robert S. Brookings’ initial description of the land’s “hilly” nature.
In February 2006, Chancellor Mark S. Wrighton announced that the Hilltop Campus would be renamed the Danforth Campus on September 17, 2006, in recognition of the role that William H. “Bill” Danforth, chancellor emeritus and life trustee; the Danforth family; and the Danforth Foundation have played in the evolution of the University. The Danforth Campus name took effect on September 17, 2006, marked by an official dedication ceremony.
Method of Acquisition
This material was donated to the University Archives by Washington University administrative offices in September – November 2006.
Accruals and Additions
Accruals are interfiled.
Processed by Sonya Rooney in November 2007; updated by Hadley Holm Davis in October 2010.
- Danforth Campus Dedication Collection
- Description rules
- Language of description
- 2020 November 10: Resource record updated in ArchiveSpace by Sarah Schnuriger.
Collecting Area Details
Part of the University Archives Collecting Area
Olin Library, 1 Brookings Drive
St. Louis MO 63130 US