Skip to Content

College of Art Records

 Collection
Identifier: WUA-01-wua00056
This collection contains historical materials from the School of Art, including correspondence, faculty minutes, programs, bulletins, promotional materials, publications, scrapbooks, photos, ledgers, and student artwork.

Dates

  • 1875-2000

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Open

Conditions Governing Use

Users of the collection must read and agree to abide by the rules and procedures set forth in the Materials Use Policies.

Providing access to materials does not constitute permission to publish or otherwise authorize use. All publication not covered by fair use or other exceptions is restricted to those who have permission of the copyright holder, which may or may not be Washington University.

If you wish to publish or license Special Collections materials, please contact Special Collections to inquire about copyright status at (314) 935-5495 or spec@wumail.wustl.edu. (Publish means quotation in whole or in part in seminar or term papers, theses or dissertations, journal articles, monographs, books, digital forms, photographs, images, dramatic presentations, transcriptions, or any other form prepared for a limited or general public.)

Extent

9.00 Linear Feet

10 boxes

1 drawers

Historical Information

In 1857, Chancellor Eliot wanted a school of art for Washington University.  The O’Fallon Polytechnic Institute had made a modest beginning with its small School of Design.  When O’Fallon was sold, this program became part of the University’s Polytechnic Department, and was renamed the “School of Art and Design” in 1871.  In November 1874, the University hired drawing instructor Halsey C. Ives, who later became a full professor and added painting, sculpture, and decorative arts to the curriculum.  In 1878, the only son of Wayman Crow, Wayman Crow, Jr., died, so he decided to give the University a new museum in his son’s honor, the St. Louis Museum of Fine Arts, dedicated in May 1881 at the corner of 19th and Locust.  With this new building, the University agreed to create an independent School of Fine Arts.  In 1909, The School moved to the new campus into the building that had been the British Pavilion during the 1904 Louisiana Purchase Exposition, this was a temporary building made out of wood frame and plaster.  Its long gallery was an accurate reproduction of the Orangery in Kensington Gardens in England. In 1926, the School of Fine Arts received a new building, Bixby Hall, on the Hilltop Campus.

Arrangement Note

The material is first divided according to size and then arranged alphabetically. There are letter-sixed materials, followed by legal-sized materials and then oversize materials.

Method of Acquisition

This material was donated to the University Archives. Oversize 1903 group photographs and accompanying document donated by Edward Gill, School of Dental Medicine, circa 1986.

Related Materials

For related materials see the Gallery of Art Administrative Files, held by University Archives.  Also - Maud edited by Richard Lee Strout (NY: McMillan, Co, 1939) for published diary entries of Isabella Maud Rittenhouse Mayne – a student at the School of Fine Arts in 1886-1887. (PS3525 A982 Z64)

Processing Information

Processed by Jay Kempen in June 2001.  Updated by Sarah Pabarcus in February 2006 and Miranda Rectenwald in April 2007. Updated by Sarah Schnuriger in January 2020.
Title
College of Art Records
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
eng

Revision Statements

  • 2021 March 22: Resource record updated in ArchiveSpace by Sarah Schnuriger.

Collecting Area Details

Part of the University Archives Collecting Area

Contact:
Sonya Rooney
Olin Library, 1 Brookings Drive
MSC 1061-141-B
St. Louis MO 63130 US
(314) 935-5495