Fred R. Hammond Collection
The Fred R. Hammond Collection includes drawings, photographs, and other images of architectural projects built on the Washington University Campus by the firm of Hammond, Charle, Burns and Le Pere, Architects and Planners, as well as its predecessor firms including Cope and Stewardson. Of particular interest is a notebook of sketches and photographs of gargoyles from across the Washington University Danforth Campus.
- Creation: 1900-1945
- Hammond, Charle, Burns and Le Pere (Firm) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Users of the collection must read and agree to abide by the rules and procedures set forth in the Materials Use Policies.
Providing access to materials does not constitute permission to publish or otherwise authorize use. All publication not covered by fair use or other exceptions is restricted to those who have permission of the copyright holder, which may or may not be Washington University.
If you wish to publish or license Special Collections materials, please contact Special Collections to inquire about copyright status at (314) 935-5495 or firstname.lastname@example.org. (Publish means quotation in whole or in part in seminar or term papers, theses or dissertations, journal articles, monographs, books, digital forms, photographs, images, dramatic presentations, transcriptions, or any other form prepared for a limited or general public.)
1.50 linear feet
3 boxes (1 drawer)
The firm that would become the Hammond, Charle, Burns and Le Pere firm began as a St. Louis branch of the Philadelphia architectural firm of Cope and Stewardson after they won the University's architectural competition in 1899, as was a requirement of winning. James P. Jamieson started the St. Louis branch in 1900 and was joined by George Spearl in 1918, resulting in Jamieson and Spearl, Architects. Fred Hammond joined the firm in 1924, becoming a partner in 1937. The firm designed 15 buildings for Washington University's Danforth and Medical School campuses between 1920 and 1935. Hammond received both a B.S. in Architecture (1916) and Master's of Architecture (1917) from Washington University. He became one of the most famous medical architects in St. Louis, designing facilities for Cardinal Glennon Memorial Hospital for Children, Deaconess, Jewish, and Missouri Baptist Hospitals, the original Washingonton University Medical Complex on Kingshighway, and others.
Folders are arranged by subject matter.
Physical Access Requirements
Digital images may be provided in lieu of the original item if originals are too fragile to be handled safely.
Source of Acquisition
Materials were donated to Washington University Archives by Hammond, Charle, Burns and Le Pere, Architects and Planners in 1975 and 1976, in honor of Fred R. Hammond.
- Fred R. Hammond Collection
- Description rules
- Language of description
- 2021 March 31: Resource record updated in ArchiveSpace by Sarah Schnuriger.
Collecting Area Details
Part of the University Archives Collecting Area
Olin Library, 1 Brookings Drive
St. Louis MO 63130 US