School of Dental Medicine Records
This collection is comprised of historical materials from the Washington University School of Dentistry. This includes speeches, programs, brochures, and other publications. The items in the collection are arranged alphabetically.
- Creation: 1867-1990
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Users of the collection must read and agree to abide by the rules and procedures set forth in the Materials Use Policies.
Providing access to materials does not constitute permission to publish or otherwise authorize use. All publication not covered by fair use or other exceptions is restricted to those who have permission of the copyright holder, which may or may not be Washington University.
If you wish to publish or license Special Collections materials, please contact Special Collections to inquire about copyright status at (314) 935-5495 or email@example.com. (Publish means quotation in whole or in part in seminar or term papers, theses or dissertations, journal articles, monographs, books, digital forms, photographs, images, dramatic presentations, transcriptions, or any other form prepared for a limited or general public.)
3.00 linear feet
The first dental college in Missouri was the Missouri Dental College, which was located in St. Louis and admitted its first class of students in 1866. At the time the school was only the 6th dental college in the United States. In 1892 the Missouri Dental College became the Dental Department of Washington University. The name was changed several times over the years -- in 1909 to the Washington University Dental School; in 1919 to the Washington University School of Dentistry; in 1974 to the Washington University School of Dental Medicine.
Co-education came to the dental school in 1908, and the first woman graduate of the W.U. Dental School was Sophia Wachsmuth, of Munich, Germany, who graduated in 1910. In 1950, the School of Dentistry opened admissions to African-American students. The Washington University School of Dental Medicine closed after 125 years of existence in 1991.
Method of Acquisition
This material was donated to University Archives.
Accruals and Additions
There are interfiled within the collection.
Processed by Sarah Pabarcus in November 2005. Updated by Sarah Schnuriger in September 2018 and November 2021
- School of Dental Medicine Records
- Description rules
- Language of description
- 2021 February 11: Resource record updated in ArchiveSpace by Sarah Schnuriger.
Collecting Area Details
Part of the University Archives Collecting Area
Olin Library, 1 Brookings Drive
St. Louis MO 63130 US